The Course at Ellesmere Golf Club, Worsley, Manchester, North West
Members at Ellesmere Golf Club - Book a Tee Time Visitors at Ellesmere Golf Club - Book a Tee Time

About Our Course @ Ellesmere Golf Club


Perhaps it is no accident for it was an act of philanthropy that built the club in the first place, the Earl of Ellesmere having suddenly had the vision that he should build a 9 hole Golf Club for his employees. The Earl also erected a wooden clubhouse and in 1913 under the captaincy of H. V. Hart Davis, Ellesmere Golf Club opened for business.

Following construction of the A580 East Lancashire Road and the M62 (now M60) slip road to Leeds, and subsequent redevelopment of the course design, enabled the Club to increase the course to 18 holes. During the summer of 1993 Ellesmere acquired land that once formed part of the Sandhole Colliery site enabling the construction of four new holes, which were added to the original 74 acres to allow the course to breathe. The new holes having been built on the colliery site are alone in Britain in having their very own mineshaft. This very attractive parkland course now measures 6,287 yards from the white tees and has benefitted greatly over the last few years with planned investment incorporating an extensive tree planting programme, re-modelled bunkers, new tees and greens, and a state of the art irrigation system.

Ellesmere Golf Club provides some of the most interesting holes in the area, particularly its signature 9th hole par 3, on a Golf Course that continues to be carefully manicured and presented.

Ellesmere continues to display its proud reputation of a very friendly Club, it is a friendliness that is unobtrusive, a natural sense of kith & kin at the heart of golf and that is to be found only at those Clubs where the sense of competition is kind rather than cut throat.